Skip to main content

25th Anniversary Observed

A daylong schedule of events took place beginning at 2:30 on Sunday afternoon, June 9, 1929 for the library’s 25th anniversary. There was piano music, singing quartets, violins, pageant contests, library history presentations and speeches. The principal address was by Mr. Louis Bailey, state librarian, considered one of the finest orators in Indiana.

At the time of the 25 year observance, the circulation report was at 82, 773. The number of volumes had grown to 14, 905. Miss Lucille Genevieve Snow, of Logansport, assumed her duties as new library director on September 3, 1929. That year, some furniture was repainted and a new floor covering provided.

“The Millyard” painting, by J. Otis Adams, 1895, was approved for purchase at a cost of $150 in February, 1930 and paid for by the Leeds fund. This fine work hangs in the south hallway of the new building.

On November 15, 1930, Mr. Pierre Haynes donated 75 books from his own library, in memory of his father, one of the first trustees.

In 1930, the library board members were: Sheridan Clyde, president; Howard Horn, Dr. H. M. Brown, Margaret Dickerson, Mrs. W. Z. King, Mrs. O. A. Armfield, Edgar Dickey, Miss Mary Cox and Waldo Canaday.

In 1931, the Elwood Historical Society was given the use of a small room in the basement for keeping objects of historical interest.